Mashed Potato
Monday, February 21, 2011 @ 3:59 PM
I will be reviewing the mashup, "The Grey Video".
1. What is this mashup trying to communicate? Is it technical experiment, social or political commentary, a comedic parody, or an abstract work of media art?
This mashup's original goal was to promote Dangermouses album entitled, "The Grey Album". This video features Jay-Z and the Beatles; an artist and a group holding different genres of music. All this was uniquely blended together to compile one heck of a creative mashup. Personally, I believe it is an abstract work of media art and a technical experiment. Dangermouse made it look like Jay-Z actually had some sort of duet with The Beatles. They've also altered the performance of the Beatles by adding humorous effects (but nonetheless entertaining) to the artists such as presenting Ringo Starr as an MC and having Lennon breakdance.
2. Did its creator follow or break copyright laws in its production?
Although Dangermouse did a good job with the video, I do think he broke a few copyright laws. I don't think both footages of Jay-Z and the Beatles' concert were supposed to be taken just like that especially when his intention is to promote something of his own.
3. Do you think that mashup like this requires copyright permission? Why or why not.
I think a mashup like this requires copyright permission because all content inside the video is not entirely made by Dangermouse. Take note that he is taking something original and arranging it to his liking. The original content is not owned by him. The songs by both artists are copyright and he should ask permission from them before he takes it or else it will seem like he is claiming all the work in the video as his own.
6 comments: leave a comment